For those who still had not known this “little” masterpiece, the Old Standard family of typefaces, designed by Alexey Kryukov, is a reinterpretation of the modern-classicist typeface in use since the nineteenth century. The typeface was the most used from the late nineteenth century, but it was completely abandoned in the second half of the ‘900. Today it has a distinctly retro taste that can be employed, just because of these characteristics, in markedly elegant contexts like fashion, science or refined typography.
Fell in love from the start of this beautiful font, of which there are unfortunately only three styles (Regular, Italic, Bold, it’s missing the Bold Italic), we started to upgrade the normal style, renaming the font as New Standard. The curves have been converted into PostScript, the glyphs were centered in their window, ligatures were added (in OTFeature), missing glyphs were added in the following Unicode blocks:
- Latin Extended-A
- Latin Extended-B
- IPA Extensions
- Greek and Coptic
- Cyrillic (which lacks the additional Cyrillic Supplement)
- Phonetic Extensions (not whole)
- Latin Extended Additional
- Greek Extended
- General Punctuation
- Superscripts and Subscripts
- Letterlike Symbols (not whole)
- Number Forms
- Mathematical Operators
- Miscellaneous Technical
- Geometric Shapes (not whole)
- Miscellaneous Mathematical Symbols-A
- Latin Extended-C (not whole)
- the numbers were moved to the same height as the upper case and the curves of various glyphs were smoothed.
Soon we will proceed the same way with the Italic and Bold, and finally it will also add Bold Italic to complete the set.
The character, of course, is available with the same license as the original.
As always we are available for your corrections, reports and requests.
New Standard font
New Standard font download, New Standard font.